I recently had a request from a friend for a gluten free, vegan carrot cake recipe for her son Damien’s first birthday. No gluten, no eggs, no dairy…. NO PROBLEM! Lillabee to the rescue! What a pleasure and honor it was to create this recipe. It was just 6 months ago that we were celebrating the joyous milestone of our daughter Violet’s first birthday. Being a mother has been the most amazing experience of my life. There are moments of pure joy and moments of pure terror, yet every moment has been packed with more love that I have ever known. Selena, congratulations Mama! A very happy first birthday to Damien! And thank you for celebrating with Lillabee.
- 1 box of Lillabee Anytime Muffin Mix
- 1/2 c of pumpkin puree (i used organic canned)
- 1/4c + 2 Tablespoons of room temp non-dairy “butter” (i used earth balance coconut spread, but their soy free buttery spread would be great too)
- 1/4 c full fat coconut milk (from a can, not the coconut milk beverages. i used the whole foods 365 organic)
- 1/2 c rice milk
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 tsp gf vanilla
- 1 1/2 c. shredded carrots
- 1/4 c raisins or any dried fruit (re-hydrate by soaking in very hot water for 5-10 min)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder (NOT baking soda)
Preheat oven to 325. Grease a 9″ round cake pan very well (soy free earth balance buttery spread or spectrum non-hydrogenated shortening).
In a small bowl, combine coconut milk, rice milk, vinegar or lemon juice and vanilla. Set aside.
Pour contents of the flour package from the Lillabee mix into a bowl. Use a whisk to blend in the 1/4 tsp of baking powder. Set aside.
In the bowl of your electric mixer combine “butter” and sugar. Mix in pumpkin puree and blend until smooth.
On low speed mix in 1/2 of the liquid mixture and mix until well combined. Mix in half of the flour blend an mix until well combined. Repeat with the remaining liquid, then the remaining flour.
Using a spatula, mix in the shredded carrots and raisins by hand.
Pour batter into greased pan and bake for 35-40 min. Mine took 40 min, but since all ovens are a little different it’s best to start checking it at 35 min, then every 5 min until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
This will make a single layer 9″ cake. For a 2 layer cake, use 2 boxes of Lillabee Anytime Muffin Mix and double the recipe above. It can also be made as cupcakes using a muffin pan. Note, cupcake baking time will be shorter… probably 30-35 min.
For frosting, I recommend our vegan “butter cream” frosting recipe. If you want you could and add 1T of pumpkin pie spice to carry the yummy spices from the cake into the frosting. Either would be fantastic.